2014 Russell Cole Memorial Lighting Design Competition
House of Worship
A non-denominational Christian church with modern traditional services has commissioned this new space. Your client wants lighting to play the primary role in enhancing the space architecturally while meeting its multi-functional needs. The worship area will need lighting for many types of services…
Because of its varied functionality, the client has requested a centralized architectural control system for the sanctuary control and a simple programmable two scene preset for bands and fellowship services.
The interiors colors have not been picked but they will be in the neutral color range for a desert community. Non specified information has been left to your discretion. Where materials are not indicated, finishes can be assumed as necessary. All assumptions must be justified in the narrative. Modification to the architecture is not allowed.
Please see description below in the download section for further information.
Application deadline is April 26th, 2014 at Midnight.
The purposes of the Awards are three fold:
- To honor Russell Cole and preserve the memory and meaning of his attitudes toward lighting, lighting education and assisting everyone in their pursuit of knowledge.
- To encourage education in lighting for college students, under graduate or graduate, who have given evidence of innovative thought and implementation in their studies of light and lighting.
- To provide financial support for students in recognition of their accomplishments.
All applicants should meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be enrolled in an accredited program at an accredited educational institution.
- Must be enrolled in an approved curricula of architecture, interior design, architectural engineering, electrical engineering, industrial engineering or theater accredited by the Accrediting Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), the Association of College Schools of Architecture (ACSA), the National Association of Schools of Theater (NAST) or the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA)
- Must be a full time undergraduate student pursuing lighting studies in the above majors or a graduate student with a specific lighting project as part of an advanced degree program.
- Must be studying in the Southern California counties of Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino or Riverside.
At left: Riviera – 2012 1st Place Winner
Sananda Mukherjee, University of Southern California School of Architecture
A Tribute to Russell Cole
Cole Lighting (C.W. Cole and Company) has been in business since 1918 and has been building lighting fixtures since 1923. Cole Lighting has been a continuous supporter of all the programs and events that the Los Angeles section has held. Because of that continued support, Mr. Cole's dedication to the lighting industry, and his longevity as a member of the IES, the Los Angeles Section Student Lighting Design Competition Award is named in his honor.