2013 Russell Cole Memorial Lighting Design Competition
Congratulations on joining the design team for the hippest new sushi restaurant in LA. Catering to the young professional crowd, this space should have a modern, edgy design style.
Elements in the space include:
- Sushi Bar
- Drink Bar
- Entry/Wine Wall
- Reconfigurable dining/private party room (Dining 3)
Some current finish and material types are indicated on the elevations, but any unspecified information has been left to your discretion. All assumptions must be justified in the narrative. Modification to the architecture is not allowed.
Your scope of work for the project is the lighting and control systems for the spaces described above. Graduate Student projects must comply with Title 24.
Please see description below in the download section for further information.
Application deadline is April 27th, 2013 at Midnight.
The purposes of the Awards are three fold:
- To honor Russell Cole and preserve the memory and meaning of his attitudes toward lighting, lighting education and assisting everyone in their pursuit of knowledge.
- To encourage education in lighting for college students, under graduate or graduate, who have given evidence of innovative thought and implementation in their studies of light and lighting.
- To provide financial support for students in recognition of their accomplishments.
All applicants should meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be enrolled in an accredited program at an accredited educational institution.
- Must be enrolled in an approved curricula of architecture, interior design, architectural engineering, electrical engineering, industrial engineering or theater accredited by the Accrediting Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), the Association of College Schools of Architecture (ACSA), the National Association of Schools of Theater (NAST) or the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA)
- Must be a full time undergraduate student pursuing lighting studies in the above majors or a graduate student with a specific lighting project as part of an advanced degree program.
- Must be studying in the Southern California counties of Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino or Riverside.
At left: Riviera – 2012 1st Place Winner
Sananda Mukherjee, University of Southern California School of Architecture
A Tribute to Russell Cole
Cole Lighting (C.W. Cole and Company) has been in business since 1918 and has been building lighting fixtures since 1923. Cole Lighting has been a continuous supporter of all the programs and events that the Los Angeles section has held. Because of that continued support, Mr. Cole's dedication to the lighting industry, and his longevity as a member of the IES, the Los Angeles Section Student Lighting Design Competition Award is named in his honor.